Update (6/3/15): As Many as 3,000 Cases Might Have Been Affected by Officers’ Racism and Bias
The scandal with racist cops in San Francisco continues to get worse. Many were fearing the worst: that these officers actually arrested or abused people for the color of their skin or their sexual orientation.
Now, it appears those fears are being taken seriously.
As many as 3,000 cases may have been compromised.
The LA Times reports:
Posecutors here are expanding an investigation into criminal cases that might have been compromised by revelations of police officers’ racist, sexist and homophobic texts, Dist. Atty. George Gascon announced Thursday.
Gascon’s probe has so far identified 3,000 criminal cases that could have been affected by perceived bias by 14 officers. Investigators in a task force he created are combing through each case to determine whether some convictions must be overturned or pending cases dismissed.
“If just one individual was wrongly imprisoned because of bias on the part of these officers — that’s one too many,” Gascon said.
Officers Facing Termination
As many as seven officers involved in the violent racist messages (full messages provided below) have been suspended and now recommended for termination, according to USA Today:
San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr has recommended the firing of seven officers who sent or received text messages that spoke of lynching African-Americans and burning crosses.
It turns out that the officers who expressed the violent desires about blacks were working in neighborhoods composed mostly of minorities.
One can only imagine the kind of abuse that blacks might have been subjected to when they were confronted by these cops — unfortunately, cops cover up most of their abuse and lie in their “police reports.”
It’s not just that they had racist beliefs — it’s also that they were in a position to carry loaded guns in our neighborhoods and potentially act on their racist beliefs in violent ways. This is all the more reason to keep your cameras focused on cops, always.
SAN FRANCISCO, CA — Communities in the City of San Francisco are outraged after it came to light that police officers had been espousing radical hyper-racist beliefs and even suggesting violent actions based on their racism.
In some cases, officers alluded to the murder of black persons for being “animals.”
The cops involved are currently “under investigation.”
The news spread like wild fire when text messages were leaked between now-former Sgt. Ian Furminger and active officers Michael Robison, Noel Schwab, Rain Daugherty and Michael Celis, according reports.
Sgt. Furminger was already being prosecuted on corruption charges when the racist screeds were revealed.
So far, none of the officers have been fired, but merely reassigned.
A list of the things that the officers said has been extracted by Alternet from a federal complaint that became public last week.
Certain viewers may find the following statements deeply offensive. Discretion is advised.
• “We got two blacks at my boys [sic] school and they are brother and sister! There cause dad works for the school district and I am watching them like hawks.”
• In response to a text asking “Do you celebrate quanza [sic] at your school?” Furminger wrote: “Yeah we burn the cross on the field! Then we celebrate Whitemas.”
• “Its [sic] worth every penny to live here [Walnut Creek] away from the savages.”
• “Those guys are pretty stupid! Ask some dumb ass questions you would expect from a black rookie! Sorry if they are your buddies!”
• “The buffalo soldier was why the Indians Wouldnt [sic] shoot the n****rs that found for the confederate They [sic] thought they were sacred buffalo and not human.”
• “Gunther Furminger was a famous slave auctioneer.”
RELATED: Cop Ties Plastic Bag over Black Man’s Head and Begins Tasing His Genitals While Saying “Don’t Bite N*gger!“
• “My wife has 2 friends over that don’t know each other the cool one says to me get me a drink n****r not knowing the other is married to one just happened right now LMFAO.”
• “White power.”
• In response to a text saying “n****rs should be spayed,” Furminger wrote “I saw one an hour ago with 4 kids.”
• “I am leaving it like it is, painting KKK on the sides and calling it a day!”
• “Cross burning lowers blood pressure! I did the test myself!”
• In response to a text saying “All n****rs must fucking hang,” Furminger wrote “Ask my 6 year old what he thinks about Obama.”
• In response to a text saying “Just boarded train at Mission/16th,” Furminger wrote “Ok, just watch out for BM’s” [black males].
• “I hate to tell you this but my wife friend [sic] is over with their kids and her husband is black! If [sic] is an Attorney but should I be worried?” Furminger’s friend, an SFPD officer, responded: “Get ur pocket gun. Keep it available in case the monkey returns to his roots. Its [sic] not against the law to put an animal down.” Furminger responded, “Well said!”
• In response to a text from another SFPD officer regarding the promotion of a black officer to sergeant, Furminger wrote: “Fuckin n****r.”