Family of Man Who Died in Police Stun-Gun Case Settles Lawsuit for $750,000

The price to settle a 2015 police stun-gun case that left a man dead: $750,000.

Calvon “Andre” Reid died Feb. 24, 2015, two days after three Coconut Creek police officers stunned him 10 times within 10 minutes, according to the police Taser data.

Reid’s family, which filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against the police and the city, agreed to settle the case in May for $750,000. The previously undisclosed sum was revealed in city records Thursday after it was approved by the courts.

Coconut Creek Police Chief Butch Arenal said at the time of settlement that the agency’s insurance company required the case be settled instead of going to trial. The case was scheduled for federal court in late December in Miami.

“I’m actually glad it’s over,” Mayor Becky Tooley said after the sides agreed to settle. “Personally, I think the officers were right. He had drugs in his system. I’m just glad it’s all over and we can get on and do things for our residents. You don’t like something like that hanging over your head.”

Reid’s encounter with police happened in the gated Wynmoor Village. Police have never said if they figured out how Reid got into the community or why he was there.

Reid was under the influence of a combination of the street-drug flakka, cocaine, marijuana and alcohol, prosecutors said.

The Reid family’s attorney Jack Scarola says he suspects that because Reid was having a “severe drug reaction,” he scaled the fence at Wynmoor to seek help. When he climbed the fence, he injured himself, getting bloodied, Scarola said.

“All the evidence suggests that’s what was going on,” he said. “It’s the best way to put the available pieces of the puzzle together.”

Pages: 1 2 3

If you haven't already, be sure to like our Filming Cops Page on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Please visit our sister site Smokers ONLY

Sign Up To Receive Your Free E-Book
‘Advanced Strategies On Filming Police’

About author

You might also like