Death of Man After Cops Smashed His Skull Into Ground Ruled an “Accident”


MOUNT VERNON — Raw video footage from a county jail has become the center of attention after a man died two days after being slammed onto the ground by police.

Friends and family of David Levi Dehmann plan to protest all throughout next week over what they say is a clear case of murder.

David passed away on April 23rd.

He was arrested by police two days prior to his death for “disorderly conduct.”

The police claim in their report that he was “drunk” in public.

The video appears to show David acting peacefully and simply wanting to hug somebody.

The video then shows an officer locking David in a takedown hold and slamming him to the ground.

The Franklin county coroner determined that the cause of David’s death was a traumatic brain injury as a result from the impact he made on the ground.

Cops have since claimed that the killing was an “accident” and the deputy who performed the takedown on David is now spending his time on watercraft training rather than in jail.

“It didn’t look like an accident to me,” said Robert Swint, one of David’s friends.

“Just knowing David, it’s shocking knowing something like that would happen to him because he’s not a combative person,” said Max Tipton, another friend of David’s.

The deputy who slammed David to the ground was put on “administrative leave” and appears to still be getting paid.

According to the county prosecutor, the deputy was training in “watercrafts” this week and was not in jail.

And here again we have another example of government-privilege: where wearing a special costume and working for a group of individuals who call themselves government lets you get away with killing someone with the excuse that it was an “accident.”

UPDATE 2015/05/12

The Knox County sheriff’s office has asked the state attorney general’s office to investigate after a man died last week following a scuffle with a deputy in the jail’s booking room.

David Levi Dehmann had been arrested at 7:43 p.m. Tuesday by Mount Vernon police Cpl. Travis Tharp, who had been sent to the ball fields at Dan Emmett Elementary School after a call about a suspected drunken man who had fallen down by the restrooms.

Tharp arrested Dehmann on a charge of persistent disorderly conduct and took him to the Knox County Jail to be booked.
Reports say Dehmann was belligerent in the cruiser.

A sheriff’s report says the 33-year-old Dehmann also “became aggressive with the jail staff” after he arrived at the sheriff’s office. The report says Dehmann tried to hit Deputy Chase Wright in the face, “causing Deputy Wright to place Mr. Dehmann into a takedown hold, taking him to the ground to get control of him.”

“Once control was gained, it was found that Mr. Dehmann had hit his head on the floor during the incident,” the report written by sheriff’s Sgt. Alan Hackman says.

Dehmann was taken to Knox County Hospital and later transferred to OhioHealth Grant Medical Center in Columbus. He died on Thursday.

Knox County Sheriff David Shaffer said in an email today that Wright has been placed on administrative leave during the investigation. Shaffer has asked the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation, an arm of Ohio attorney general Mike DeWine’s office, to investigate.

BCI spokeswoman Jill Del Greco said it is categorized as a “questioned-death investigation” and, after state agents complete their work, the case will be turned over to the county prosecutor for review, a standard procedure.

A series of reports show that Dehmann had a couple of run-ins with law–enforcement officers on the day of his arrest, and police said he had already had a head injury when they encountered him earlier that day.

Based on the reports, here is how officers and deputies say the day unfolded:

At 1:48 on Tuesday afternoon, Mount Vernon Police Officer Nicholas Myrda was on a call on Shirley Avenue in Dehmann’s neighborhood when someone flagged him down about an intoxicated, half-naked man who was lying down and vomiting on a nearby patio.

Myrda found Dehmann on the ground with blood on his face. The report says Dehmann had drank a bottle of vodka and a bottle of mouthwash and told the officer he had fallen and hit his head. He was taken to the local hospital by ambulance.

About 6 p.m., hospital staff told Cpl. Tharp, who was at the hospital on another matter, that Dehmann was being released but
had no ride home. Tharp wrote that he gave Dehmann a ride to an aunt’s house. He wrote that Dehmann was walking on his own and speaking coherently.

Next came the 7:43 p.m. call about a man down at the school’s ball fields. Tharp responded. He said Dehmann had a bottle of
vodka in his pocket and “was barely holding himself up.”

But after Dehmann was handcuffed, he became belligerent, Tharp wrote: Inside the cruiser, Dehmann “hit the Plexiglas cage, messed with the camera and spit on the passenger-side window.”

The takedown in the booking area happened, according to the sheriff’s office report, at 8:09 p.m.

Shaffer said an autopsy was done, and he is awaiting the report.

Watch the video below:

If you haven't already, be sure to like our Filming Cops Page on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Please visit our sister site Smokers ONLY

Sign Up To Receive Your Free E-Book
‘Advanced Strategies On Filming Police’

About author

Filming Cops
Filming Cops 5618 posts

Filming Cops was started in 2010 as a conglomerative blogging service documenting police abuse. The aim isn’t to demonize the natural concept of security provision as such, but to highlight specific cases of State-monopolized police brutality that are otherwise ignored by traditional media outlets.

You might also like