Deputy & Husband Expected in Court on Murder Charges


A Harris County sheriff’s deputy and her husband are expected to appear in court Friday, a day after being indicted on charges of murder, accused of intentionally choking a Crosby man outside a Denny’s restaurant.

Deputy Chauna Thompson, 45, and her husband, Terry Thompson, 41, also of Crosby, turned themselves in Thursday night and both made bail of $100,000 each. They could face up to life in prison if convicted.

Typically, suspects charged with felonies in Harris County appear before a state district judge the day after bonding out, to have their bail conditions set. Neither of the accused are yet scheduled on Judge Kelli Johnson’s docket, but law enforcement officials confirmed that both are expected to appear.

Both are accused of the first–degree felony of intentionally causing the death of John Hernandez, with Terry Thompson accused of choking him to death as he held him pinned to the ground. Chauna Thompson was charged as an accomplice.

The indictments, handed down late Thursday, came a day after more than 150 protesters marched across downtown Houston proclaiming “Justice for John Hernandez” and “Brown Lives Matter.”

The march was the culmination of a week of unrest after cell phone video of the incident was released.
Hernandez’s family members praised the charges as they prepared for a visitation and rosary are set for Friday. A funeral Mass will be held Saturday at St. Dominic Catholic Church in Houston.

Terry’s attorney, Scott Courtney, said prosecutors rushed the case without giving the grand jury time to consider all the evidence. Courtney said Terry did not intentionally kill Hernandez.

“I’m extremely disappointed the grand jury chose to indict,” he said. “I don’t believe the evidence shows that.”

Terry maintains Hernandez took the first swing after the two men argued.

“It’s disappointing that citizens can simply march on the courthouse and demand somebody be indicted for murder,” Courtney said.

For the full story visit :