Police Shoot 2 Dogs Dead After 3 Pit Bulls Attacked Man


Three pit bulls were shot by police, two fatally, after officers observed the dogs attacking a man and killing his smaller dog in downtown Los Angles on May 10, 2017., according to LAPD.

Officers initially responded around 8:30 a.m. to the 500 block of Stanford Avenue following a call of a man being attacked by dogs.

When officers arrived, they found the victim screaming on the ground with the dogs on top of him, Los Angeles Police Department officials said. The victim’s dog, which was much smaller than the pit bulls, was killed by the three larger dogs.

The video shows the responding officers grabbing their weapons and opening fire on the dogs in an effort “to preserve life”.

LAPD Lt. Chris Ramirez explained there is a protocol involved when dealing with aggressive animals.
“When you’re dealing with animals … we try to teach the officers techniques or tools, like fire extinguishers. Anything that we have available and we have time. In a situation like today, we didn’t have a lot of time,” he said.

Officers had preciously tried to use a Taser, which was ineffective.

“So the officers used whatever tools and means available, and tried to solve the issue at the time, or de-escalate it, but in a case like today they had to resort to lethal force,” Ramirez said.

LAPD confirmed two of the pit bulls died, and a third was being treated for his injuries.

The Sky5 video over the scene appears to show that the four dogs had been injured; three of the animals appeared to be dead, while a fourth was still visibly moving.

Police confirmed one of the dogs that died belonged to the victim, a man in his 50s who had been walking his pet when the pit bulls that were not on a leash attacked.

The victim suffered multiple bite wounds all over his body and was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was last reported to be in stable condition, Ramirez said.

A man who owns a neighboring business said the pit bulls’ owner regularly allowed the dogs to roam around the neighbourhood without a leash.

“Whenever they come out, I go back inside and lock the door,” Kambiz Ayenechi said. “They were always out without a leash, so sooner or later, something would have happened.”

Source: ktla.com