[WATCH] Oklahoma Deputy Who Mistook Gun For Taser and Fatally Shot Unarmed Man is Released From Prison After 16 Months

A former Oklahoma reserve deputy who fatally shot an unarmed man when he mistook his firearm for a stun gun has been released from prison after serving less than half of his four-year sentence.

Department of Corrections spokesman Matt Elliott says 76-year-old Robert Bates was freed on Thursday morning from the North Fork Correctional Center in western Oklahoma.

Bates was found guilty of second-degree manslaughter in the April 2015 fatal shooting of 44-year-old Eric Harris during a traffic stop.

The former Tulsa County sheriff’s volunteer deputy was released after serving just over 16 months behind bars because he got credit for good behavior. Bates will be on probation for nine more months.

The Harris shooting drew thousands of county residents to petition for a grand jury to investigate allegations that Bates, a millionaire retired insurance executive, was unqualified to serve as a deputy but was kept on the force because of his close ties to indicted ex-Sheriff Stanley Glanz.

Attorneys for Harris’ family put out a statement saying that the ex-deputy is being released early, ‘in time to celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas with his family,’ even as his victim’s loved ones continue to mourn his death.

‘Now that Mr. Bates is out of prison, it is our expectation that the civil rights suit filed against him and Former Sheriff Glanz will finally begin to intensify,’ the statement concluded, according to NewsOn6.

On April 2, 2015, Bates, then aged 73, was taking part in an undercover gun sale sting operation when he confronted Harris.

In an attempt to subdue him, Bates went to grab his Taser, but later claimed he was unaware he had actually pulled out his gun instead.

In the video, which was released by the sheriff’s office, Bates can be heard shouting ‘Taser! Taser!’ When the gun goes off, he says: ‘I shot him! I’m sorry.’

The fatally-wounded man can be heard saying: ‘Oh my god, he shot me! He shot me! He shot me, man’ before adding: ‘Oh, my god. I’m losing my breath!’

Bates resigned his position in the sheriff’s department in the days following the shooting.
He was found guilty of manslaughter in May 2016 and began serving his four-year sentence the following month.

At 6.45am on Thursday, Bates walked out of the North Fork Correctional Center in Sayre a free man, having accumulated time for good behavior and other credits.

Bates, who sold his insurance business for $6million in 1999, was trained to be a Tulsa Police Department patrolman in 1964 but left in 1965.
He was out of law enforcement for 35 years, returning for volunteer work in Florida in 2000 before joining the Tulsa County force in 2008 and making a number of donations to the agency.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4997634/Ex-deputy-shot-unarmed-man-released-early-prison.html#ixzz4w3Wgb0IH

If you haven't already, be sure to like our Filming Cops Page on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Please visit our sister site Smokers ONLY

Sign Up To Receive Your Free E-Book
‘Advanced Strategies On Filming Police’

About author

Filming Cops
Filming Cops 5618 posts

Filming Cops was started in 2010 as a conglomerative blogging service documenting police abuse. The aim isn’t to demonize the natural concept of security provision as such, but to highlight specific cases of State-monopolized police brutality that are otherwise ignored by traditional media outlets.

You might also like