This is the 6-Yr-Old Child that a Cop Shot Multiple Times in the Head


UPDATE: March 24, 2017

MARKSVILLE, La. — A Louisiana law enforcement officer was convicted Friday on a lesser charge of manslaughter in a shooting that killed a 6-year-old autistic boy, a gruesome encounter captured on tape by another officer’s body camera.

Jurors found Derrick Stafford guilty of manslaughter and attempted manslaughter charges, multiple news outlets reported. He had faced charges of second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder in the case.

A manslaughter conviction in Louisiana carries a sentence of 15 to 40 years in prison.

Stafford, 33, and another deputy city marshal opened fire on a car – killing Jeremy Mardis and critically wounding his father – after a 2-mile car chase in Marksville on the night of Nov. 3, 2015.

Video from a police officer’s body camera shows the father, Christopher Few, had his hands raised inside his vehicle while the two deputies collectively fired 18 shots. At least four of those bullets tore into Jeremy, who died within minutes.

Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry said in a statement that his office is happy with the verdict.

“As we have said all along, our goal in this case was to get justice for Jeremy Mardis, his family, and the people of Louisiana. Today, that happened,” the statement said.

Stafford testified Friday that he shot at the car because he feared Few was going to back up and hit the other deputy, Norris Greenhouse Jr.

“I felt I had no choice but to save Norris. That is the only reason I fired my weapon,” Stafford said.

Greenhouse, 25, faces a separate trial on murder charges later this year.

UPDATE 11/7/15: Two Cops Arrested for MURDER in Shooting Death of 6-Yr-Old-Child

“It is the most disturbing thing I’ve seen, and I’ll leave it at that,” Louisiana State Police Col Edmonson said, commenting on the footage that shows officers gunning down the child.

Norris Greenhouse Jr., 23, a reserve officer, and Lt. Derrick Stafford, 32, were arrested Friday night by the Louisiana State Police, on charges of second-degree murder.


Derrick Stafford has also been in trouble in the past, namely, on charges of aggravated rape.

Stafford is also being sued for breaking a 15-yr-old schoolgirl’s arm, as well as tasing a woman who was sitting down peacefully.

Do you think these officers will actually be convicted of the murder, or is this all smoke-and-mirrors to make the public believe that it’s being “investigated”?

Continue reading the full article below:

Six-year-old Jeremy David Mardis would have been very scared in the moments leading up to his death.

He was sitting in the passenger seat of his father’s truck when he was shot several times in the head and torso by city marshals.

A stretch at a Marksville State Park, the site where the fatal shooting occurred, has at least 17 spray-painted markings, indicating spots where shell casings or other evidence was recovered.

The autistic boy from Louisiana was a first-grade student at Lafargue Elementary School in a neighbouring town.

His grandmother, Samantha Few, says he was a friendly child. In a written statement to the media she called him “a special gift from God”.

“He was always smiling always happy,” she wrote.

According to her, he had in infectious grin and people who met him instantly took a liking to the boy.

“He didn’t deserve what happened. He wouldn’t hurt a fly.”

The tragedy

It is not yet clear how the incident unfolded. Here is what we can make out from the murky details available.

On Tuesday Mardis’ father, Chris Few, had been at TJ’s Lounge, a local bar and service station in Marksville, Louisiana.

At around 9 PM on Tuesday night, less than half an hour before the shooting, he decided to leave.

He was playing pool with a friend. The 25-year-old had relocated to the town from Mississippi about a year ago.

One resident describes him as a friendly person who was easy-going.

At this stage it is not known whether Mardis was still with Few or if the father picked him up later on.

It is also not yet clear, what led the police to chase Few – but, he sped through Martin Luther King Drive with the cops hot on his heels.

Finally, the city marshals managed to stop him in front of the gates of the historical site where one neighbor says at least 10 gunshots were heard.

Few was also shot in the incident and had to be airlifted to Rapides Regional Medical Center in Alexandria. He is in stable condition.

According to the Avoyelles Parish Coroner Dr. Lovell L.J. Mayeaux Jr., Mardis was hit by shots that came from outside and through the driver’s side.

The boy could not sustain the injuries and died on the spot.

Grief counselors had been sent to Mardis’ school to help his classmates and teachers deal with the news.

Not the only incident

This week has been a heartbreaking one for the small town of Marksville. The day after Mardis’ death, the town of 5700 folk walk up to another tragedy.

A mile from where Mardis had been shot another innocent civilian was injured after a police officer mistakenly fired a shot in her direction.

Thirty-two-year-old Will Ray Lachney barricaded himself in his mother’s house after he took a shot gun from a hunter in the nearby woods and fired it in the air following an encounter with a cop who was passing by.

His mother was trying to negotiate with him to give up the weapon and yield to law enforcement, when a police officer accidentally shot her in the arm.

If you haven't already, be sure to like our Filming Cops Page on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Please visit our sister site Smokers ONLY

Sign Up To Receive Your Free E-Book
‘Advanced Strategies On Filming Police’

About author

Filming Cops
Filming Cops 5618 posts

Filming Cops was started in 2010 as a conglomerative blogging service documenting police abuse. The aim isn’t to demonize the natural concept of security provision as such, but to highlight specific cases of State-monopolized police brutality that are otherwise ignored by traditional media outlets.

You might also like